The Q&A Archives: Dense, compact evergreen foundation plants

Question: What would be some choices for dense, compact evergreen shrubs for planting near my house foundation? The area gets early morning full sun, changing to full shade around noon.
The plant must be dense as I am attempting to shelter my siding from the sun reflected off of a window. The reflection is

Answer: The site you describe might be tough for most any plant. If the reflected sun is intense enough to ripple the vinyl siding, it will certainly cremate anything you plant there. Is there a way for you to put a screen over the window so it won't reflect the sunshine? Screening material is relatively inexpensive, or you might even be able to hang a plastic or bamboo shade over the window when the sun's reflection is the strongest. Once you've covered the window, you can plant most any hedge type plant in the area. Boxwood, Spirea, and Holly all produce dense growth and all can be clipped to keep them in shape. Best wishes with your garden!