The Q&A Archives: Ice Angel CAMELLIAS

Question: At the suggestion of the nursery we purchased 20 (5 each) of the following varities of Camellia's - Spring Promise, Survivor, Winter's Snowman, and April Remembered. This was not an inexpensive venture for prior to planting I wanted to make sure you thought the choice was correct.

DETAILS: Hedge, Filtered Sun, Planted in line with mature maples along side a road way (approx 3 ft back), Road is salted in winter. We are Zone 6

Please advise - If I need to return them I would like to do so as soon as possible

Answer: Camellias are noted for low salt tolerance. They also need protection from the winter wind and from early morning sun. And, they will not compete well with maple roots if these are a surface rooted maple. In my experience these camellias, although hardy, require careful siting. I would suggest if at all possible you experiment with just a few and see how they do, if it goes well, then add more.