The Q&A Archives: queen palm seedlings

Question: Can you tell me what to do with the seedlings once they are germinated? We don't have
much luck. They start growing, get a couple of leaves then become dry & brown on the tips & go down hill from there. They have water & I have
added vitamin B plant starter fluid plus.

Answer: It sounds as though the fungal disease called Damping Off is attacking your seedlings. Palm seeds need temperatures between 65-75 to germinate and the potting medium must supply excellent drainage. Use a sand-based cactus mix or use builder's sand with a little peat moss mixed in. When the seedlings emerge, provide good air circulation all around (placing a small fan near your seedlings will help move the air). When you water, water from the bottom rather than from overhead. This will help you avoid fungal diseases.

The first time the seedlings are transplanted can also be a dangerous time for them. Lift them carefully so no roots are damaged and replant them quickly so the roots don't dry out.

Hope you have better success with your next batch of palm seeds!