The Q&A Archives: Pink weigela looking sick

Question: My weigela we planted 2 years ago has done fine until now - the leaves are turning brown and curling up, some of the new leaves have a black/purple edge appearing on them and these leaves are new, small leaves. Is it a fungus? What should I do?

Answer: The discoloration on leaves of your weigela may very well be a fungus, but it could also indicate a stress at the root level - over watering, herbicide application in the vicinity, improper fertilization, etc. Before you decide to spray a fungicide, why not take a sample of the symptoms to your local cooperative extension office (or well staffed nursery) for positive diagnosis. It may not need treatment at all - or it may need a specific treatment for control. The only way you'll know for sure is to have a specimen diagnosed. Hope it's nothing serious!