The Q&A Archives: Camellia Japonica gray brown leaves

Question: I have a grey-brown coloration on the leaves of my camellia shrub. It is starting to produce flowers (which are normal, actually nice, looking), but this discolorization of the leaves, along with a curling of the leaves (the curl begins where a brown spot is) is causing some concern as to the health of the plant. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer: It appears that you have Petal Blight Disease. This fungus (Sclerotinia camelliae) attacks mostly the flower petals, but also is a concern on the leaves if severe. The best control is sanitation. Remove all fallen flower petals immediately and dispose ofthem. They are a source for fungal spores that reinfect the tree. Replace the mulch<br>every year and make sure the tree has good air circulation around it so the leaves and petals dry off quickly after a rain. This disease is very weather dependent. I have had the same problem and some years it is worse than others. This year I don't see a trace of the disease, but it depends on your local weather. Warm, humid conditions are very conducive to this fungus.