The Q&A Archives: Fastest Growing barrier plants

Question: My neighbors just cut down 35'x 15' of natural growth to the dust. I need to plant something Eugenia? that will grow quickly in sandy soil and gets a lot of sunlight. It would be right above a very old retaining wall so a major root system probably would not be good. I need my privacy back!!!!! How tall can you purchase Eugenias? Help Me! Thanks.

Answer: I've had a similar experience and it is a real cultural shock to have a greenbelt removed! Leyland cypress is a popular tree for screening and privacy plantings. You might also consider "Witchita Blue" or "Skyrocket" junipers. These are reasonably fast growing, upright plants. Or, American arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis) is a tall, columnar evergreen that's a natural for planting in rows for quick screening. Eugenia is also suitable. Regardless of the size of plants you purchase, it will take them almost a year to become established before they will begin putting out lots of growth. Maybe some annual vines will provide a quick screen until your shrubs can take over. Hope one of these suggestions works for you in your landscape!