The Q&A Archives: Knock out roses

Question: Can your knock out roses be planted on the north side of a house with some morning sun from the east (about 2-hours) and little to no sun from the west?

Answer: Knock Out needs, as do all roses, ample sun to grow well, stay healthy, and bloom well. Roses really need a minimum of six hours a day of direct sun, including the hour of noon. So, this is not going to be even close to enough direct sunlight. You might consider moving it out further from the house so that there is more direct sun, or try a shade loving plant instead. Your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension should be able to help with suggestions based on a more detailed knowledge of the planting site and your design goals. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging about the rose.