The Q&A Archives: Indoor Bulb Gardening

Question: I would like to plant tulips and daffodils in flower pots indoors. Any tips you could give me on how to go about this will be greatly appreciated.<br>

Answer: Forcing bulbs for indoor flowering is a long process, but a rewarding one. Begin in September or October, as soon as bulbs are available on the market. Use containers with drainage holes on the bottom and place 3 to 5 bulbs per container in regular potting soil. Cover bulbs almost completely with potting soil and then place the container in a cool (35F), dark place (such as an unheated basement or your fridge) for 8-10 weeks. This gives the bulbs a chance to develop a good root system. When green shoots begin to develop, bring the container into a lighted room and water well. Flowering should take place 3 - 6 weeks later. The blooms will last longer if they are kept in a cool room.<br><br>Here are some approximate forcing times for several bulb varieties:<br>Daffodil - 12-16 weeks, Crocus - 14 weeks, Grape hyacinth - 18 weeks, Hyacinth - 10-12 weeks, Tulip - 8-10 weeks.