The Q&A Archives: Overwintering Mandevilla

Question: I bought 2 of your gorgeous Red Riding Hood Mandevilla's this year. If they would survive, I'd love to bring them in this winter and keep them as a house plant until spring. How would I manage them? Not may hours of sunlight in December but I could put them in a north facing window sill.

Answer: You should be able to keep your Red Riding Hood Mandevillas happy by moving them indoors when nighttime temperatures hover around 45 degrees. After taking them indoors, cut them back by about one third, keep them in a bright location and reduce watering. You want to maintain the plants, not encourage a lot of new growth, so don't fertilize until spring. When the weather warms, take them back outdoors, fertilize and water regularly and they should resume growth. Best wishes with your mandevillas!