The Q&A Archives: dianella tasmanica ' variegata'

Question: found holds in my plants. i planted dwarf alberta spruce, loropetalum chinenes 'hines purple leaf and dianella tasmanica' variegata' the variegata is the only one that have holds in the leaves.

Answer: Without seeing the plant it is a bit difficult to make a guess. If the tips or entire blades are torn off roughly, it may be due to deer or another animal such as rabbit or woodchuck. You may have to do a little detective work to see the culprit. If there are smaller holes chewed into the foliage, it might be slugs. These are nocturnal and also leave behind a slivery trail of slug slime. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to help you identify the damage. I'm sorry you are having trouble!