The Q&A Archives: Crape Myrtles-Height question

Question: I was interested in the Tuscarora Crape Myrtle and see that here you state it will be a 15 foot tall tree. Other sources have it listed as a 20 to 25 foot tree. I would like to get this tree along with a Catawba, but they need to be no more that 15 to 20 feet at maturity. Also, how far apart do you plant these trees? Thank you.

Answer: The height and spread of the Tuscarora Crape Myrtle ultimately depends upon the growing conditions and whether or not the tree is regulary pruned. In normal landscape growing conditions it will reach a mature height of 15-20 feet with a spread of 15 to 18 feet. This tree will work in a 15' space if you prune it annually. And, since crape myrtles bloom on new wood, pruning back early each spring will ensure an attractive canopy.

Catawba trees are related to Catalpa trees and may reach heights of 70 feet tall and 40 feet wide; not a good choice for a small yard. I'd plant two crape myrtles instead, planting them a minimum of 15-20 feet apart.