The Q&A Archives: Crape Myrtles-Which Ones for this Spot?

Question: I already submitted a question, but I decided I needed to approach this from a more general position. I have a 20 foot long area next to my 6 foot high fence where I want to plant 2 or 3 crape myrtles. The trunk needs to be 6 to 8 feet. The foliage is intended to block my view of the neighbors driveway. I realize these trees are deciduous, but I want some brilliant color thera and am willing to have the trees be a bit sparse during the winter months. I would love a bright color, ideally red. I noticed that Centennial Spirit is red and grows to be 15 to 20 feet. Dynamite, Catawba and Tuscarora were also interesting possibilities. I could not see any description of Burgundy Cotton and few others. Please help! Thanks.

Answer: Your choice of flower colors limits your selection to CENTENNIAL SPIRIT, an upright tree 15-20' high, with dark red flowers in late June; REGAL RED with a broad, upright growth habit and dark red flowers, or CHEYENNE which has bright red flowers and a rounded canopy, 8-12' high. If you're willing to live with other flower colors, your choice of dwarf crape myrtles expands a bit. BURGUNDY COTTON is a white flowering tree with a broad, upright habit to 12'; CATAWBA has violet purple flowers with an upright (vaselike) habit, growing 12-15'; CHOCTA, with bright pink flowers and an upright habit to 15-20'; COMMANCHE with coral pink flowers and a broad crown to 15-20' ; LIPAN flowers in medium lavender and a broad upright growth habit,; PEPPERMINT LACE with pink and white flowers, growing upright 8-12' tall; or SIOUX, a vibrant pink upright tree growing 12-15'

Hope this information helps you choose just the right crape myrtles.

DYNAMITE may be too large for your garden. It Red Upright 20 - 25