The Q&A Archives: spider mite problem on an arabian jasmine plant

Question: Hi ... I bought this arabian jasmine plant about a week ago ... and unknowingly ... the plant already had tons of spider mites on it ... I am trying my best to save the plant ... but I think it's too late. I have been using safer on it ... I spent so much money on that plant ... it's very disappointing to buy a such a poor plant from that nursery. Should I complain to the nursery that I had bought it from ... as I noticed the spider mites as soon as I got it home ... i just thoought it was only a few of them .. not all over the plant. What should I do? I hate to throw it away ... thank you for your time ...

Answer: Spider mites can sometimes be controlled by a twice a week washing with a spray of tepid water. Or, an insecticidal soap such as you have been using can be applied (and reapplied) per the label instructions. Be sure to wash or spray all sides of the leaves and stems. Raising the humidity level around the plant can also help. You might check back with your retailer as well. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your plant.