The Q&A Archives: Soil Test

Question: Is it better to know the pH or fertilizer breakdown of the soil?

Answer: It is important to know both; each have their reasons for being very valuable information. Your soil's pH is important because some plants simply will not grow when the pH is off in either direction. Improper pH also affects the plant's abilityto take up nutrients from the soil. <br><br>Your fertilizer breakdown lets you know what "nutrition" is available in the soil for the plants. These results can help you to know what to add or subtract from the soil in terms of fertilizer for optimal growing conditions. <br><br>If for some reason I could only choose to have one of these test results it would be pH. Why? Because I keep my soil enriched with a lot of organic material (compost, leaf mould, composted cow manure, etc.) I am confident that my fertilizer breakdown is right on track!