The Q&A Archives: What are the best indoor plants for dry conditions and very little light?

Question: I am a landscape designer outside Philadelphia. A client of mine has inquired about putting some plants in her family room. Unfortunately the family room is pretty dark. It is on the Eastern side of the house with large Oaks and London Plain Tree shading the room from the outside. The family is pretty busy and I don't think watering is going to be part of there regular routine. Artificial PLants have been suggested but I would like to have a few live plants to suggest to them.

Answer: The Victorian favorite of Aspidistra might work at least for a while, maybe also Sanseviera and Philodendron. In addition to just possibly barely surviving, keep in mind also they probably won't grow much, if any. Plants are living things after all. Good luck!