The Q&A Archives: Green-Leaved Euryops

Question: I bought a Green-leaved Euryops in the spring and planted it. It is blooming and the foilage on the outside is green and there is new growth But all the foilage underneath has turned brown and the closer you get to the trunk the worse it gets. Is this normal or do I need to do something. I sprayed for mites but it does not look like it helped. The soil is very sandy and we are experiencing a mini drought. I do water it regularly. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Answer: Excessive browning from the base and working up the plant is sometimes due to overwatering. This plant is very tolerant of dry soil so you should not need to water it too often. To know if you need to water, check the soil with your finger. If it is still damp do not water yet. Also, you may find that some of the oldest foliage drops as the plant continues to grow. This is sometimes more noticeable if the plant is not grown in full sun and so is shading itself at the interior. If you are still concerned, you might check back with your retailer. Enjoy your euryops!