The Q&A Archives: Some recommendations

Question: I am preparing to plant around 6 plants on the front (south facing)of a house and have included Sweet Pea Shrub, First Love Gardena and two Dream Roses so far. I am looking for two more non-deciduous flowering shrubs/plants that have a long blooming season, fairly disease resistant and will grow to a height and width of approx. of 3ft. I have good light and about half day of direct sun. Can you make some suggestions?

Answer: Here are a few suggestions for your landscape:
The Bluebeard 'Blue Mist', Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Blue Mist', also known as Bluebeard and Blue-Mist Spirea, is an attractive compact, mounding shrub with fragrant powder blue blooms. It has a long blooming season. This plant creates a wonderful border for perennial beds, or use along walks and entryways. Place in full sun to part shade. Moderate grower to 2? feet tall, 2 feet wide.

Dwarf or Kurume Azaleas (Azalea obtusum) grow 2-3 ft., prefers afternoon shade and acid soil. There are many varieties; -slow growing, evergreen, spring flowering in pink, white, red and salmon flowers.

Purple Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica chinensis) mounding shrub to 2-3 ft. sun or partial shade. Fragrant honeysuckle blooms in late spring; purple winter color; fast growth.

Hope one is just right for your landscape!