The Q&A Archives: Majestic Beauty Fruitless Olive tree

Question: I need to know how invasive the roots are on the Majestic Beauty fruitless olive tree. I have a small yard (about 25 x 12) that has a frame of pipes (probably water pipes) around the edges, six inches or so under the soil. How close to one of these pipes could I safely plant my fruitless olive? (it's outgrowing it's pot)
Thank you!

Answer: The Majestic Beauty Fruitless Olive tree will have a mature size of about 25' tall and wide. It sounds as though it might be a little too large for your yard. Rather than planting it in the ground, why not consider planting it in a large planter box and placing it in the center of your yard? Keeping it in a container will keep it smaller by restricting root growth. This will also ensure that the roots do not invade the sidewalk, driveway or underground utilities in your yard.