The Q&A Archives: Dead Juniper

Question: I have purchased two junipers (pom pom) plants. The one is doing very well, while the other appears to have died. The pom poms have turned brown. The brown one seems to get more direct sunlight than the other. Other than that they both received the same watering, etc. What happened?

Answer: Based on your description, I am not certain what happened. Junipers actually prefer full sun or a minimum of six hours of sun a day including the hour of noon, so I do not think sun exposure would have killed it. I would suggest you work with your professional nursery staff and/or county extension to determine what happened. It is possible it failed to root into the surrounding soil, or was over watered or underwatered, or it might have suffered a pest or disease problem, but it is very difficult to make this type of diagnosis long distance. I'm sorry about your pom pom shrub.