The Q&A Archives: Endless Summer Hydrangea Rebloom

Question: I deadheaded my endless summer hydrangea promptly but never received any new blooms after the first nice bunch. How often should it be fertilized and with what?

Answer: Endless Summer hydrangea blooms on both old and new growth. The first blooms appear on the previous years wood, and the later season blooms appear on the new growth of the current season. As such, it will need to time to rebuild its energy to rebloom on new growth later in the season -- it is not quite like an annual flower that blooms nonstop all season. Sometimes the display seems pretty much continuous, and then it will bloom on into the fall. How long your will take depends on how well it is growing. With a new plant, it takes it time to become rooted and established and perform to its full potential. Keep in mind that it will do best under ideal conditions -- in too much shade for instance it will not bloom well. Next spring you can use a general garden fertilizer 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 on your hydrangea. Feeding once a year is just fine for your plant.