The Q&A Archives: Trees

Question: I purchased a Cornus kousa var. chinensis from Wickman's in Springfield, Mo. I was wondering, since there are several cultivars, which one do you sell? I was looking in a reference book and had no idea what cultivar I had. Could you help me? Would appreciate any information you might share. Thanks, Rita

Answer: Cornus kousa var. chinensis is described in Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants as being botanically very similar to the species (this is typical for something listed as a "var.") but is noted for growing more freely and with larger flowers than the straight species. There is no specific cultivar name for it.

ps I think you may have asked earlier about the oakleaf hydrangea. If so I apologize for sending you an incorrect answer at that time. The botanical name for this hydrangea is Hydrangea quercifolia. I realized I had mis-thought immediately after hitting the send key and unfortunately there is no way to trace our answers or send a correction. You would need a specific cultivar name to identify it more specifically, if not then you would probably assume it to be the straight species.