The Q&A Archives: roses

Question: my roses do very well at first and then slowly die off.What can i do to prevent this

Answer: You really didn't supply too many clues so I can't really give you any advice. It would help to know how much sunshine they get, what your watering and feeding schedule is, how well the soil drains, and whether or not you regularly deadhead. Without this basic information, I would only be guessing at the causes of the problems your roses are experiencing. You may wish to look at a good basic reference book on growing roses. Besides giving lots of general pointers, it will show you in illustrations how to prune. This is much easier than trying to learn it by reading a description! An excellent book is Roses for Dummies by Lance Walheim and the Editors of The National Gardening Association. Good luck with your roses!