The Q&A Archives: thuja orientalis aurea nana(golden biota)

Question: Hello.thank you for your existence and willing to help.
I planted Thuja orientalis aurea nana(golden biota)2 months ago.Shrubs were thriving and growing fast. Now some of foliage is dying off(turning dark-brown and black).What should I do to save the plants? thank you.Irene.

Answer: Irene,

I am not familiar with all the possible problems of such a plant in your area since you are outside the continental USA. That said, I think the symptoms sound like the plant is either suffering from a root problem (soggy wet or dry soil extremes are the most common root problem) or possibly a blight disease of the foliage. Foliage diseases are not common but could happen if conditions are warm and rainy. Sprays of a fungicide after pruning out the brown/black areas would be the best approach to controlling such a problem.