The Q&A Archives: Puckered Leaves on Rhododendrons

Question: I planted some rhododendrons around my porch earlier this summer, because I have basically all shade from big trees, and I wanted something to bloom with color. I noticed their leaves seem to pucker and are turning yellow, is this due to lack of water or poor soil conditions?

Answer: Puckered leaves can be a sign of insect feeding, disease, or cold damage. I'd closely inspect the leaves, including the undersides for signs of insect activity or symptoms of disease. It may help to clip off a few of the affected leaves, place them in a plastic baggie and seal it tight, then take the leaves to your local nursery or Cooperative Extension office for a positive diagnosis. Once you know what you're dealing with, you can treat to prevent the problem in the future.

Best wishes with your rhodies!