The Q&A Archives: Invasive Plum Passion Heavenly Bamboo

Question: I purchased Five of your Plum Passion Heavenly Bamboo three years ago and it has taken over my planting bed where I have other plants growing. How do you control the invasive root system which has produced stolons everywhere including in the other plants. Nothing in the plant nomenclature indicated this would happen. How do we resolve this problem? Looking to hear from you ASAP.

Clarence Harvey

Answer: Nandina, or Heavenly Bamboo, does send runners out from the roots and tends to colonize, but it is not considered invasive the way ordinary bamboo can be. If your Plum Passion is getting out of hand, you may want to dig and divide the plants, then replant after placing a root barrier in the bed. I use plastic edging (available at garden centers) to contain the roots of my Nandinas. You could do the same. Best wishes with your garden!