The Q&A Archives: I planted my trumpet vine 3 years ago. Grows great but no flowers...

Question: I planted my trumpet vine three years ago and prune it every fall back to the ground. I have yet to have any flowers even though the plant grows to 15 feet. By cutting back, is that why I have no flowers. Do they need old growth for flowering? Appriciate any comment that will get me blooms. Thank, Jeff

Answer: Trumpet vine or Campsis radicans needs full sun all day long and just average soil to grow and bloom. It blooms on new wood, so do not prune it during the summer as this removes flowering wood and/or flower buds. In my experience it seems to rejuvenate the vine and encourage branching and blooming if it is trimmed back very hard in early spring. This can also help control its size. Since it does well enough with just average fertility, do not be tempted to overfertilize it especially with nitrogen as this can encourage foliage at the expense of blooming. If for example it is planted adjacent to a lawn that is being fertilized you may not need to feed the vine at all. As with most vines, it may take a year or two to become established and begin to bloom but by year three I would have expected some flowers. I hope this helps!