The Q&A Archives: Tuscan Blue RoseMary

Question: I bought one of your rosemary herb plants and it is very nice. I didn't plant it in the ground because I want to bring it into the house for the winter. Can you please give me some tips to keep going in the winter months. This the best rosemary I have ever had. thank you

Answer: Rosemary likes cool (60F), moist conditions in winter. Unfortunately, most homes are too hot and dry for rosemary to grow, so the plants tend to dry out after a few months. When outdoor temperatures hover around 50F, bring it indoors and place it in a cool, south-facing window away from any heat source. Mist the plant every couple of days, and water it just enough to keep the soil barely moist. Rosemary doesn't really grow much in the winter indoors; you just want to keep the plant alive. In spring, once you see signs of new growth, begin to give the plant more water mixed with a dilute, complete fertilizer. Transplant rosemary into the garden after all danger of frost has passed.