The Q&A Archives: Gardenia "parasite"

Question: I have found numerous white nodules at various locations on the branches of my gardenia bush. I have pulled several of them off and there is a pink interior with a white exterior. They are easily removed and seem to leave no evident trace of their removal.

I would like to know if this is a harmful infestation of some sort, and if so what to do to effectively remove it.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide to me.

Bill Mallette

Answer: Based on your description I think you are probably seeing a scale insect infestation. It is important to get a specific identification and control recommendations based on knowing exactly what it is rather than guessing. But scale can spread and can be difficult to control so do not wait. I would strongly suggest you work with your local county extension for a definite identification and then based on that, their control recommendations. If a chemical control is needed they will be able to tell you what to use and how/when is best to apply it for maximum results. Good luck!