The Q&A Archives: my six foot cedar tree is turning orange!!

Question: We have two small cedar shrubs between 5-6 ft tall and some of the branches are turning orange on them. More on one tree than the other one. What should we do. Cut of the branches (which will leave some wholes in the tree) or is the tree diseased and have to get rid of the whole tree itself. Hoping we can save the tree, do you have any hasn't been because of lack of water as we watered the trees all summer. We might have fertilized the tree during the wrong time of season (during summer in August) if that had anything to do with it. Please help as we have two others in the back yard as well that are only 3-4ft tall that are doing quite well and don't seem to have a problem and don't want to loose them. Thank you for any help or advice you can give us.

Answer: Browning can be caused by a pest or disease problem, poor rooting and transplant shock, root damage due to over or underwatering, accidental herbicide or chemical exposure, and even by overfertilizing. Depending on which kind of plant you have, there may also be some normal seasonal change along with normal needle drop. It is very difficul to diagnose browning long distance. I would suggest you work with your local professionally trained nurseryman to try to determine what is happening and then once you know that for sure, determine how to proceed. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.