The Q&A Archives: Plumeria from Kauai

Question: I bought a plumeria plant that looked like a single stick in a plastic bag from kauai in april and brought it home planted it in sand and dirt as directed and it has now grown into a stick with many large green leaves. Now that our 90 degree days are done I am bringing it indoors now I need to know how to keep it alive all year...any special care I should be giving it, when might I expect it to flower. (at this point is is about 2 feet tall with leaves at least 5 inches in length and maybe 2

Answer: Plumerias are deciduous, and will lose their leaves in late fall. The branches will remain bare until spring. The best place to keep your plant over the winter months is in a greenhouse. Failing that, a warm, humid, brightly lit spot should keep it alive until it's time to go back outdoors in the springtime. You can allow the soil to barely dry out during the winter and you won't need to fertilize it until new growth begins in spring. I use a half-strength dilution of Miracle-Grow and feed my plumeria every two weeks from spring through summer.

It can take up to three years for your plumeria to bloom so don't lose patience with it. The results will be worth the wait!