The Q&A Archives: Blue Fescue Suddenly Died

Question: I have a number of second year blue fescue plants around my weeping cherry and they just up and died this summer. I love the plants and don't know what I am doing wrong. So I just wanted the basic requirements (besides full sun which they have) such as soil type, amount and frequency of watering and fertilization or maybe even root pests that might make future plantings more successful. thank you

Answer: Blue fescue grows best in rock gardens and on slopes because it requires excellent drainage. Watering too frequently, especially in clay soil, will shorten the lifespan and the plants will die out. For better success, amend the soil so it drains quickly, and water deeply only once a week. If the area remains too moist, you may want to mound the soil up a few inches where you plant your blue fescue so the roots are not sitting in overly moist soil. Best wishes with your garden!