The Q&A Archives: Flowering Vines

Question: Last year, I put up a 4'6" open picket fence. It is in full sunlight. What vines might you suggest that would highlight the fence with blooms? I would like to know also if an annual or a perennial plant would be better? <br>

Answer: My suggestion would be to plant annuals to highlight your fence this year. At the same time, plant a few perennials that will mature in the next year or two. This way you'll have instant color from the annuals and a perennial (or two) coming along that will take of itself for years to come.<br>There are many, many varieties of both annual and perennial vines to choose from - it staggers the mind! <br><br>Check out Burpee's selection of flowering vines (pp.42-43, 108 of the Spring 98 catalog). If you want to see full-sized plants before making a decision, go to your local garden centers in spring and summer and look at the plants. That way you can make an educated choice.