The Q&A Archives: Is it safe to plant potted plants in the Fall that I bought this summer?

Question: I began landscaping the back yard this spring, and in the summer bought 2 potted Rosemary plants and a Siberian Iris for this area. I am STILL moving a huge mound of delivered soil and have not planted these plants yet. I want to amend the soil in these back yard areas. Yes, I am SO BEHIND!!! Is it wise to plant these now, with winter around the corner? Or do I have to bring them inside and keep them watered all winter until the danger of frost is over? Thanks!

Answer: You'd be doing your plants a favor by getting them into the ground as soon as possible. They still have several weeks of good weather left in which to get their roots established before winter weather arrives. If you absolutely cannot get them planted in their permanent spots right now, you can simply sink the pots into the ground for the winter months. Don't try to keep the plants indoors this winter - the won't be happy.