The Q&A Archives: Shrub advice

Question: Can you suggest a shrub that I can plant that will tolerate the morning sun? If possible, I would like some color. These plants will be planted on the side of the house. There is approx 2 1/2 feet between the house and where the sod begins so this plant needs to remain small. I am not trying to make hedges. Several will be planted approx 6 feet apart.

Answer: Terryll,

I think your best bets are either dwarf nandina ('Sienna Sunrise' or 'Firepower') or dwarf Japanese barbary ('Crimson Pigmy' or 'Royal Burgundy'). Go to the following web site which will allow you to search for Monrovia plants by name, and type in "nandina" or "barberry". You'll get a listing of varieties which you can select from for more info and in some cases a photo.