The Q&A Archives: Seed Starting

Question: Regarding Burpee's Seed Starter text , my question is if the manual suggests starting seeds indoors 4 to 6 wks prior to the last frost, will the plants be starting to produce flowers by the last frost period or should they be started a little earlierthen the book suggests to be up to the stage of starting floral production? I'm only concerned with flowers.

Answer: No, they will not be at the flowering stage, nor do you want them to be so advanced. They will make the adjustment into your garden much easier while they're immature. When you get flowering plants from nurseries they have been grown in temperature controlled greenhouses, and moved out at the right time, etc. Burpee wants you to be successful. You can be sure their method is tried and true!