The Q&A Archives: Castor Bean Plant

Question: Hello,
I live in Zone 7 and I planted Castor Beans this year in my yard and they are beautiful about 12' tall. But I am not sure what I have to do before the frost comes in Virginia. Do they winter over or do I just cut them down I would love to see the flowers on them but we have a month before frost hits here. Just not for sure what to do with them. Thank you for any information you can give me on this plant
Sally Osterbind

Answer: Aren't these amazing plants! In zone 7 I doubt they will winter over, usually they are considered hardy only to zone 8. So once frost knocks them back go ahead and cut them down and remove the root portion as well, as best you can, the roots are huge also. You may still see them bloom this fall -- they have a very long growing season and seem to keep going until the last possible moment.