The Q&A Archives: moving and pruning

Question: I have a saucer magnolia and would like to move it.It was planted 2 years ago and it's larger than we thought it would be.When is a good time to move this tree and how and when do I prune it? Thank You

Answer: You might be able to transplant it successfully once it goes dormant this fall. Take as much of the root system as you possibly can (it will be significantly larger and heavier than when it was planted) and replant immediately at the same depth as it is growing now. If it is a larger tree, it might be better to prepare it for the move by root pruning over a year long period previous to the move, this helps develop a network of roots close to the trunk to make the digging process easier. To some extent your chances of success and whether or not do the root pruning depend on the size of the tree and how well it has rooted where it is now. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and/or a professionally trained and certified arborist for on site advice if possible.