The Q&A Archives: New Apple Varieties

Question: I would like to plant a new variety of apple tree. Please give the names of 3-4 new apple tree varieties.

Answer: New is a relative term, there are apple varieties dating back to the 1200's so new could be one developed in 1818 under those terms! Just a little gardening humor there. I'll use the term "newer" just to be on the safe side. Here are afew "newer" varieties of apple I came across: 'Pink Lady', a hot climate apple from Australia that is designated as sweet-tart. There is a new variety of 'Braeburn' from New Zealand now available, a late season that is crisp andtangy. Another one that is considered "new" is a Japanese 'Fuji'; sweet and crisp. These are available from Bay Laurel Nursery at Many orchards offer new introductions each year. Miller Nurseries is offering 'Macfree', an improved, highly disease resistant MacIntosh. You can contact Miller at 1-800-836-9630. Stark Brothers is offering 'Honeycrisp', which is described as a dessert apple. Contact Stark Bros. at