The Q&A Archives: Any hope for spider mite-damaged dwarf Albert spruces?

Question: I have 2 dwarf Alberta spruces that are experiencing needle browning and drop. One of them (a transplant this past spring, only about 2 feet tall) is completely denuded. The other one, a larger plant, has lost about 85% of its needles. I think the problem is spider mites, since they have also infested an Angel's Trumpet plant on my porch. Is there any hope of saving these spruces, or should I just call them

Answer: I'm so sorry about your dwarf Alberta spruces. When the damage is that severe they normally just don't make it. You might look into trying something that is better suited to your climate and also suited to the specific growing location where you have these planted. There are many evergreens that do well in your area. Your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension should be able to help you analyze the growing the conditions and suggest plants that are more likely to thrive there.