The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea grown in containers?

Question: Is it appropriate to plant hydrangeas in containers? I live in south FL and it would be on my patio that faces west. Are hydrangeas shrubs?

Answer: The Hydrangea grows to be a large shrub; there are many different types. Hydrangeas would likely do much better if planted outside in partial shade, rather than in a container--especially in South Florida. Usually a patio facing west would be a poor location unless there are trees shading the patio. Hydrangeas require lots of water, so this is a consideration when growing in a container--containers often dry out much quicker than garden soil. <br><br>If you do try growing a hydrangea in a container, you should transplant to a slightly larger container from time to time. If not, the plant will become root bound. The hydrangea should be pruned immediately after it blooms.<br><br>