The Q&A Archives: Hedges

Question: I am looking for a type of hedge that would be fast growing, dense, hardy in this area, provide privacy, and be able to be trimmed to about 8 feet. Any suggestions?

Answer: I suggest a native evergreen shrub - white cedar (Thuja occidentalis). It needs at least a half day of sun, prefers moist soil to dry, and needs even pruning from top to bottom. If the top is allowed to shadow the bottom branches, lower growth will become thin and die. They're best established in late summer-early autumn, when summer's heat has passed, but while they still have plenty of time to establish good root growth before winter. Water them well after planting, and keep watering through the fall. A thick layer of bark mulch will help maintain moisture through the winter. Any pruning should be done in early summer - keep pruning to a minimum, shearing just enough of the tips to encourage thick growth. Have a reputable local nursery help youchoose stock next year - locally grown trees will be well adjusted to your climate.<br><br>