The Q&A Archives: Passion Flower

Question: I bought a lavender lady passion flower and planted it on a wall that gets sun till about 1 pm. It has grown really well since about February. I got lots of buds, but most are shriveling and dropping before blooming. Help. Thank you.

Answer: It sounds as though your passion flower is in the right site so I wonder if the buds are dropping due to lack of adequate moisture or if some insects are feeding on them and causing them to drop off. Carefully inspect the flower buds - pick a few off that are in various stages of development and either cut them open or tear them open with your fingers. They should be perfectly formed and you should be able to identify the petals. If you find insects or worms or deformed petals, the problem is with an insect infestation. If the petals appear intact and the flower bud looks sound, then the problem is associated with too much or too little water - or even inconsistent water applications. Hope this information helps you troubleshoot the problem!