The Q&A Archives: Full Sun Japanese Red Maple

Question: I am looking for a red leaved Japanese Maple that will tolerate full sun. It is for a planter. I have a resale licence and am a floral designer. I like to use the leaves in wedding work for boutonnieres, but the only avaliable spot I have is in full sun. It does not have to be red in color- but I would prefer it. Any recommendations and can I order directly from you?
Thank you
Paula Vasin

Answer: The Autumn Flame Red Maple tree, Acer rubrum, 'Autumn Flame', is a fast growing tree that is also one of the first trees to show fall color. The Autumn Flame Red Maple has scarlet/green leaves which make for gorgeous fall color. This deciduous trees leaves will always contain a hint of scarlet. This tree is pyramidal when young with ascending branches. The branches develop low and form a dense, narrow crown. The lobed leaves are a nice bright green. It requires full sun for best effect. It is not tolerant of drought or very hot dry weather. This tree is a large tree that can achieve a trunk size of three to five feet in diameter. This is truly a beautiful shade tree.

A slightly smaller tree is Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'. It has an upright growth habit, reaching 20' - 25' at maturity and bearing large red palmate leaves which hold their color well into summer before greening up in August, 'Bloodgood' has become the best known of the many available Japanese maples. This is a dependable, vigorous tree. Its carmine red samaras (seed pods) are a striking contrast to the deep red leaves.

If you're looking for an even smaller tree, consider Acer palmatum 'Corallinum'. This tree grows in full sun and has an upright growth habit, reaching only 7-8 feet at maturity. In spring, small leaves erupt in a pink color somewhere between maraschino cherries and cocktail shrimp. Summer's green is often speckled with bits of the pink. The transition reaches each leaf at a different moment so that, in mid season, a thoroughly green leaf and a stubbornly pink one can sit side by side. The mottled result is evocative, as is the name, of a sea's coral reef.

Monrovia is a wholesale nursery and does not sell directly to the public. A resale license may or may not qualify you to set up an account with Monrovia. Why not check with their Regional Sales Office to see what the qualifications are? Phone 800-950-4272 for more information.