The Q&A Archives: lavender lady passion flower

Question: hello;

I purchased a Monrovia lavender lady this summer which has flowered consistently and beautifully for months, and it has grown upwards of 20 feet along a trellised yard. I really want to give it the best shot of surviving the winter here in new york. pls advise. thanks!

Answer: Your Lavender Lady is only hardy to about 40F degrees so it won't winter over outdoors in your garden. You can try to winter it over indoors, by digging it up and planting it in a pot, then cutting it back to a more manageable size. Provide warm temperatures and bright light during the winter months. Expect it to look unhappy for a while, but under the right conditions, it will remain alive. Next spring, when the weather warms, take it back outdoors.

Best wishes with your passionflower vine!