The Q&A Archives: shrubs and plants that like shade

Question: I am planting for a new house and need something along the side of the house but gets only some morning sun. I also would like to have something that is different than most people in Atlanta, Ga. Any ideas

Answer: Deena,

That's a pretty wide open question so I'm not sure how specific I can be in helping but here are some ideas for plants to consider:

Azaleas, camellias, hydrangeas and gardenias are pretty common but are super plants for such a location. Perhaps by going with not so common colors or types you can have a different look with these plants.

Chinese witchhazel is nice and blooms in early spring. Dwarf nandina is very attractive and some types such as Sienna Sunrise and Firepower give good cool season color.