The Q&A Archives: fall weather

Question: I'm not sure what kind of tree I have. We bought it at the beginning of the summer but with no label. It is in a big pot and was blooming beautifully outside all summer. Now that it is colder, we have brought it inside. The leaves are starting to fall off. I know this is what trees do in the fall but how do I know if it is still alive? How do I know if I need to prune it back a bit?

Answer: Unfortunately without knowing what it is, it is difficult to tell you if this is normal for your tree, or not. Many tropical plants may lose a few leaves when brought indoors due to the change in lighting, but they should not defoliate completely. I would suggest you check with your retailer where you purchased the tree for identification and care suggestions. Good luck with your tree!