The Q&A Archives: Shrub/otto luyken laurels

Question: I am looking for a good foundation plant around the front of my house and was recommended that we purchase Otto Luyken English Laurels.
We do not get any sun in the front of our house. Will these plants work for us? Your website tells us the plants need full sun.

Answer: This plant is often used in shady foundation plantings, especially in areas with hot summer such as yours. Here is a chart showing many shrubs and their lighting preferences you may find helpful in evaluating your options, it was developed for North Carolina. You might also ask to see some that are growing in a shady spot similar to the one where you are thinking of planting, just to see how they look. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

I hope this helps.