The Q&A Archives: Jasmine

Question: Hello!
I bought a jasmine plant which I kept in a planter for a couple of months. The plant seemed to be doing well but thought of planting it on the ground.
The white flowers kept coming and it seems to keep growing well. I live in GA and I am afraid of the winter temperature. Any tips on how to prevent the plant from freezing during the winter?

Gisella Torresala

Answer: Gisella,

There are several types of jasmine which vary in their degree of cold hardiness. Some are hardy in your zone 7b location while others are not. Go to the following web site which will allow you to search for Monrovia plants by name, and type in "jasmine". You'll get a listing of varieties which you can select from for more info such as cold hardiness.

If your species of jasmine is slightly less than hardy enough for your are you can mulch the plant deeply over winter and cover it with a blanket on freezing nights to provide a little extra protection.