The Q&A Archives: colorful plants that grow in shade

Question: We have a Live Oak tree that is over 150 years old in our back yard. So, it is very shady, we have put down pine straw under the tree to the perimeter of the canope of the tree. Now we would like to add some areas of color under the tree, using,ferns, shrubs and flowers. I would like it to look natural, not like a designed plan...what plants should we consider?

Answer: Pam,

There are a wide variety of ferns to choose from. Check out the following web site for some specific ideas.

The are should also be suited to liriope and Aztec grass (looks like white and green streaked liriope). I would also use impatiens and caladiums in the summer. Gingers such as hidden and pinecone ginger or variegated ginger would also be appropriate. Fatsia and Aucuba would be good upright shrubs for the area.