The Q&A Archives: Conifers Corner. Colour in a shade garden

Question: I would like to plant a corner in my garden with shrubs and perennials. My garden has a big area with shade and trees, which lose their leaves in winter. The garden looks very empty and without colour. Can you give me some ideas? Thank you very much!. I have roses, rhododendrons, pelargonium, 3 big pinus pinea and I bought some bulbs in Amsterdam last month.

Answer: There are a number of groundcovers, perennials and shrubs that will adapt to growing in the conditions you describe. Brunfelsia pauciflora is a shrub with clusters of violet flowers with yellow centers. Camellia's - many varieties - love shade and come in lots of colors. Daphne odora (Winter daphne) has tiny fragrant blooms in December and January. Groundcovers include Pachysandra (yellow flowers), Trachelospermum (Star Jasmine) with fragrant white flowers, and Vinca minor (Periwinkle) that blooms abundantly from spring through fall. Colors are either white or purple. Perennials - Campanula in shades of blue, purple, white or pink, impatiens (same color choices), saxifraga, Asian lilies, and pansies. Best wishes with your garden!